Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Women of Washington Redskins: An Evening with Coach Mike Shanahan

Did you know that the Washington Redskins has a club especially for its female fans? It's called the Women of Washington Redskins (WOW), and I just became a member not too long ago. Shortly after Memorial Day, WOW hosted a special chalk talk with Coach Mike Shanahan at Redskins Park in Ashburn. The event filled up fast, and I was glad that I signed up. I had never been to Redskins Park so I was looking forward to it!


I had to hustle after work to make the event (traffic going that way is terrible!), but I was treated to some wine and appetizers to nosh on upon my arrival. Yum!
 

Notice the sleeve. You better believe I had to rock the burgundy and gold before I came.
 
The room where the chalk talk took place was also the same room where the actual team watches game film.



They even showed a highlight reel of last season to get us pumped up!


Larry Michael from Redskins TV did the introductions. He sounds the same in person as he does on the radio!


Finally, Coach made his appearance, and he was ready to answer some questions! Excuse the blurry pictures, I was still getting the hang of the camera on my new phone. One thing that's certain is that Coach looked really sharp in his light gray suit!


The ladies asked a wide variety of questions from player specific questions to which player they should choose for their fantasy team (aka: the Alfred Morris "sleeper").  Some ladies even asked what Coach got RGIII for his wedding. It was pretty neat that he was open to answering all of our questions... 



After the Q&A session, it was time for the tour of Redskins Park!


I thought the weight room was pretty cool. Everything was emblazoned with the Redskins logo.


And look at this 150 pound dumbbell! Can you imagine a linebacker curling these? They might as well curl me! ;)


We walked by the Players' Club, which is an area exclusively for the players. No coaches, media, or visitors allowed...


Then I took some shots of the Wall of Fame.  Apparently there is a replica of this wall on the club level at FedEx Field.


Sean Taylor!


Here's a shot of where they eat. As you can see, it's a basketball court converted into a dining area.


They had several display cases in the rear the entrance of the facility. Here is Slingin' Sammy Baugh's original helmet. Can you believe how thin it is?


And of course you can't leave Redskins Park without taking a peek at the Super Bowl trophies!


Me with the trophies. Photo bombing my own picture, LOL.


Overall, it was a great experience! I had a great time at Redskins Park, and I hope WOW does more events like this in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment