Saturday, January 15, 2011

Week 5: As Different as Night & Day

On Monday, Justin met with our contractor to go over what he has done so far (just so there wouldn’t be any surprises when I went to our inspection).


Yesterday, I met with our contractor and our FHA inspector to go over the renovation and grant approval for the first draw.  The two of them seemed to be getting along fine with all their "construction talk" and by the looks of their conversation everything seemed to be okay.  


Not sure if I have explained this to you already, but here is how our FHA 203k loan works.  The renovation is split into phases and in order to move on to the next step of the renovation, the FHA inspector must approve the prior work.  That is how our contractor gets paid.  In the first phase of the renovation our contractor fronted most of the money (with the exception of the surprise foundation issue) and upon approval of each phase he gets reimbursed.  This process goes on until our renovation is complete (or we run out of money…hehehe).


Anyway, enough of my rambling, all you really want to see is pictures, right?


Like I said, Justin visited our house earlier in the week and the pictures he showed me were dramatically different to what I saw yesterday.  Like day and night (Cue Kid Cudi—yes, I know I’m corny).  Or night and day, since he went at night and I went during the day. Whatever.


Here is a shot Justin took of the back of the house.  As you can see, the framing is up and in the top right hand side you can see the framing for a window.


 

This is a pic from yesterday.  Can you believe they were able to put up the walls, window and roof up within a matter of days?  That’s pretty amazing if you ask me.


 


Next is a picture of the area where the ceiling/roof of the extension will meet the original house.



Here is that same spot with the roof in place and the joists put in for the ceiling.  According to our contractor, he’ll be putting in a bunch of recessed lighting in the kitchen and dining area.  With lots of light it will be bee-yoo-ti-ful.



Of course this window will help with the natural lighting, too.  



Hey, I remember you ladders!



A shot taken from the entryway between the dining room and kitchen.




Well, that's all i got for now. Hope you have a good MLK Weekend!


1 comment: