Monday, January 16, 2012

Habitat for Humanity 2011

Last November I volunteered to do Habitat for Humanity through my job.  I've done Habitat for Humanity several years ago and coincidentally, I would be working at the same site as I did last time in Washington, DC.


Here's a pic of my teammate and I. We made the main page of my work's website. Woo hoo!




I remember the first time I did Habitat for Humanity the homes we worked on were nearly finished.  I painted walls and caulked some crown moulding and window frames. Pretty easy stuff. This time around the house we would be working on that day just consisted of framing. Unlike my time before, I did some serious manual labor. I nailed down additional framing, assisted in lifting a roof from the ground to the third floor, and sawed lumber to make a roof line. It was actually my first time using a circular saw which was pretty neat. And all the hammering I did guaranteed that I would be super sore the next day.


I really learned a lot about my handygirl skills (or lack thereof) but appreciated the fact that my colleagues and the Habitat for Humanity leaders had faith in me doing it myself (sometimes over and over again :) Have you ever done Habitat for Humanity before? It's honestly one most rewarding community service activities that I've ever done because you truly feel a sense of accomplishment at the end of the day and you learn some handy skills, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment