Friday, December 17, 2010

It's a Family Affair / We've Won the (Running) Lottery

If you know me and my workout habits, you would know that I have an utter dislike of running.  I know it is one of the best workouts for burning calories and getting fit.  They say it’s one of the easiest things to do, but I can’t get past all the impact and breathlessness.  I can elliptical to my heart’s content and do aerobics classes until kingdom come, but I do not run.

When Justin and I went down to Louisville for Thanksgiving, his sister suggested that Justin and I, along with her, her husband, Justin’s brother, and his wife all run the Kentucky Derby Mini-Marathon.  Don’t let the word “mini” fool you.  The word “mini”, in this context, doesn’t refer to anything cute or bite-sized (e.g.:  fun size Snickers), but instead refers to a half marathon in all its 13.1 miles of glory. 

Logistically, I am not sure we could even do it.  The mini marathon is scheduled for the weekend before the Kentucky Derby  (April 30, 2011), and the Kentucky Derby is the first weekend of May.  We had been planning on going to Derby, considering that we didn’t go last year.  We would either have to go to Kentucky two separate weekends in a row OR take an entire week’s leave to attend both. 

Like this mountain, I will have to overcome my dislike of running...lol
We told her that we’d have to think about it, to which she sweetly responded, “Your registration fee will by my Christmas gift for the both of you.”  Uhhhm…thanks?  But of course she wouldn’t lead us blindly into something we’ve never done before.  She suggested that we run a ten miler prior to this daunting race, and it just so happened that the Cherry Blossom 10-miler in Washington, D.C. was scheduled right before the mini marathon.   I’ve heard of this race so many times, since it is during the peak of the cherry blossom season in the first week of April.  Because this race is immensely popular, you must be selected at random, via a lottery, in order to participate.

After Justin and I returned home, I seriously started thinking about the 10-miler.  I started thinking about how I should change my negative view of running and how I needed to get out of my unhealthy and inactive rut (which approximately started after the wedding; getting too comfortable I suppose L).  My sisters also had mentioned to me that they had similar health and fitness goals to mine, but couldn’t find the time and/or motivation.  Justin has never run a race before, but always encourages the both of us to be fit.  It dawned on me since misery loves company that we should run the Cherry Blossom 10-miler together!  After all, if we do the Kentucky Derby Mini-Marathon as a family, we should prepare for it as a family, too! I then registered Justin, my two sisters, and myself for the Cherry Blossom 10-miler.  We found out a few days later that we had been picked.  My sisters were less than enthused and Justin seemed indifferent.  On the other hand, I was excited because now I get to go shopping for some cold weather running gear (hahaha…I know I’m such a poser, but I have to dress appropriately, right?)!  All joking aside, this is the first race that all of us will run, which means training should have started yesterday.  We need to get in shape!  Training for any race is serious business and I hope we’ll be able to pull through with as little problems as possible.  Since this marks the beginning of our race-running journey, I’ll be sure to keep you posted on all of our progress.  Wish us luck!  J

No comments:

Post a Comment