Friday, December 3, 2010

It's Official: We're Homeowners!

In case you missed our Facebook/Twitter/4Square statuses, we closed on our first house on Monday, right after we got back from Kentucky.  We are super excited, but it hasn’t really hit me yet—probably because we haven’t moved in yet.

Monday was pretty hectic (just like the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, when I tried to leave at noon and ended up leaving two hours later). I was scared I wouldn’t leave in time.*   Luckily, I was able to make it to the bank to get a cashier's check for our down payment and closing costs.  Let me just say that the amount of money I cut for the check could have bought a sweet 2011 BMW…wow…It’s by far the largest check I’ve ever made. I digress…

Anyways, we did the walk through which was pretty straightforward.  Since we were able to negotiate the price waaaayyyy below the seller’s asking price at the time, the seller sold us the house “as-is.” 

Then we went to the title company for closing.  Everyone kept telling me about how much my hand would hurt after signing my name multiple times on the closing papers.  To be honest, after signing paperwork for five rejected offers and filling out paperwork for loan approval, this process was a breeze!  The sellers handed us a bunch of keys (many of which we still have no idea what door it opens) and then we were officially homeowners!


Homeowners, at last!
We got a bottle of champagne from the title company and a really generous gift card from our realtors, Greg and Christina.  I didn’t know you got gifts for buying a house. How cool is that?

On Tuesday, we invited a few friends over to have a little “pre-housewarming” get together, so people could see the place before we started the renovations.  We even got to meet our neighbors on each side of our house.  Hopefully, we didn’t freak them out.  Even though there were only ten of us we got a little raucous, probably due to a couple cases of beer, a few cans of Four Loko, half a bottle of bourbon, and several bottles of champagne loud.  Hopefully, we’ll be able to make a better impression as good (somewhat), quiet neighbors once we move in.

Although we’re not moving into our house for another two months (hopefully earlier), our life on the Hill has already begun.   I’m very lucky to have Justin to share in this experience, and I know the two of us can’t wait to explore what the Hill has to offer.  In the meantime, we’re going to enjoy Capitol Lounge’s 25 cent wing special…

*I always do this. As opposed to taking a half-day, sometimes it’s just better to just take the entire day off. Work can’t keep you longer if you’re not even there, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment