Friday, March 15, 2013

Nike Women's Half Marathon DC - I'm In!

More like..."I'm in?"
 
Just to give you some background, back in November I entered the the lottery for the Inaugural Nike Women's Half in Washington, DC. Needless, to say I didn't get in. :( I had run the Nike Women's Half in San Francisco a couple years ago and had a blast so I was bummed, but I got over it...
 
Then last Friday, I received an email from Nike saying that they were offering a second chance to get into the DC Nike Women's Half. But there would be catch. The catch was I had to log in 6.2 miles via Nike+ that weekend for their virtual 10K race.
 
Eek.
 
I hadn't run much since the Army 10-miler and I had only logged in a mile or two during crossfit. I'm sure you can imagine how freaked out I was that I needed to bang out 6.2 miles in order to gain entry in into the Nike Women's Half. But I did it. On what is typically our "lazy Sunday," after coming back from Philly, Justin and I ran to the Washington Monument and back (with me huffing and puffing along the way ;). I'm glad I did it because it gave me a good gauge of my sucky cardio level.
 

Unlike the last time, my entry into this race was somewhat anti-climactic. And unfortunately not many people I know are running this race so I'm pretty much riding solo. Regardless, I'm super excited to be "in," despite being waaaay behind in training as compared to those who knew they were in and actually "won" the lottery back in January December. It just means that I have to work that much harder in the next month and a half!

Somethings that I'm looking forward to with this race:
  • I looked over the course map and it looks similar to the Cherry Blossom 10-miler course (one of my faves!)
  • The Expotique...Nike does it like no other!
  • We'll have some guests visiting from out-of-town that weekend so it'll be nice to have that extra support!
  • The Tiffany's swag of course!
This is the only long distance run I've registered for so far this year. Wish me luck on the next few months of training!

No comments:

Post a Comment