Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Our Paleo Eating for the Week: Breakfast and Muffins

Last Friday, I had a pretty uneventful, but productive weekend night making some paleo breakfast items for the week. Since I can't have grains while I'm on this nutrition challenge I love making muffins. The first recipe I tried was the blueberry lemon muffins from the book Practical Paleo by Diane SanFilippo. I swear, I have checked out this book from library so many times that I might as well buy it at this point. 


Or course I was watching the ACC Tournament and my beloved Terps squash Duke for the second time...of course I would later realize that they were fated for the NIT...wah wah...
 


I used the spatula to make sure that I got all the batter on the sides and put the batter neatly in the muffin tins. It was the perfect amount. Don't you hate it when you have too much or too little batter for a dozen muffins?



And of course I had my sous chef Derby let me know when the muffins were done!


Since I already had the muffin ingredients out and the stand mixer was ready to go, I decided to make another batch muffins. This time I was going to make paleo pumpkin muffins using this recipe from The blog, Cindy's Table. The good thing about this recipe is that it used the entire can of pumpkin. So many pumpkin muffin recipes out there use only a cup or so of pumpkin from the can. No bueno. What are you supposed to  do with the rest of the pumpkin?

Here are some shots of the ingredients going in (both muffin recipes have a lot of eggs in them so they have a lot of protein!) and the pumpkin batter...

 

Again the perfect amount of batter for the muffin tins--I'm on a roll!



The finished product! I had to bake them twice as long as the suggested 12 minutes, but they turned out great! They aren't as sweet as most muffins, but they taste great with a pat of Kerrygold butter!


Since my muffin tins were being occupied, I decided to make crustless quiche using a casserole dish. All you need is a dozen or so eggs and whatever paleo filling you like! The great thing about this recipe is that you can use whatever meat and vegetable you have available. Today, it was ham and broccoli. 


And I'm not stingy with filling either. Check out my awesome knife skills ;)



Just put it all together and put it in a baking dish for 30 minutes (or until the toothpick comes out clean). 


It came out perfect with a nice golden crust! 


And of course I couldn't help but cut myself a slice! It was delicous!


Whew! That's a lot of food prep! The best part about it is that I can keep all of this food in the fridge until I'm ready to eat or I can freeze them for later! As the saying goes, "If you fail to plan, you plan to fail." That saying is completely true for paleo eaters. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment