Monday, June 24, 2013

Weekend Review: Dog Park and Fireflies

Hello everyone! I just wanted to share with you what I did last weekend. On Saturday, I took the Frenchies to the dog park (all by myself!) while Justin got a haircut. We were going to miss out on the French Bulldog Meet-up, so I wanted them get some playtime. They also needed a bath, so I figured they might as well get really dirty beforehand. I must admit that they were a handful, but they had so much fun!

Look how Derby blends into the rocks! It's like he has natural camoflauge! :)


There is a creek that is part of the dog park that we go to.  Many owners use it as a means for their dogs to cool off after hours of play. Louie loves the creek and also drinks out of it as well. Not sure if it's the best thing for him to drink, but he won't drink any other water at the dog park :(


Derby drinks any and all water, so I'm not surprised he helped himself...

Don't mind if I do...
We typically stay in the little dog area, and unfortunately Louie got out and I had to run after him. He pretty much darted off and gave me the big F-U (Ugh). What a jerk! After I ran after Louie and eventually caught him (with the help of others), I snapped this picture of the this pug with this really long tongue! Too bad he was looking the other way, you just had to see it!

  
On Sunday, we headed to the Firefly Festival in Dover, DE. Firefly is this huge three day festival that had tons of great acts, such as the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Tom Petty, and Vampire Weekend, just to name a few. On the way to Firefly, we stopped by Capriotti's for some lunch. Justin found this sandwich place on Yelp.  Although it is a chain, we don't have one in the DC area.  All the more reason why we wanted to check it out!

I got the Cheesesteak and boy was it huge! Note to anyone eating Capriotti's for the first time: the sizes of the sandwiches are different than what you may be used to! Instead of small being 6", medium being 8" and large being 12", the sizes at Capriotti's go from 8" to 12", then 18"! Not knowing that fact (or not paying attention at least), I ordered a medium which turned out to be a 12" sub! Eek! It was delicous nonetheless, and the hot peppers gave my sandwich a good kick!

 

Justin and Ricky got the best selling Bobbie sandwich, which was also tasty. Because it was filled with turkey, stuffing, and cranberry, both Justin and Ricky said it was just like Thanksgiving dinner in a sandwich. I really liked how they had real pieces of turkey and not turkey slices. It made the sandwich more authentic!  Luckily, neither of them fell asleep after eating it.


Now for a bunch of pictures! Here's a shot of the tent cities where people camped out. Not sure if I could do the whole "roughin' it" camping thing, especially since it was obvious some people hadn't showered in days...



The weather was really crazy the entire day. One minute it would be a torrential downpour, the next minute it was sunny. I took this picture right after one of the downpours.

Although I never considered myself a fan of Matt and Kim, they always put on a good show with lots of energy! I'm sorry these pictures were taken so far from the stage. Justin and Ricky didn't want to get any closer and be amongst the smelly people.  They claimed there was "too much body heat" closer to the stage.  LOL.


This is what you get when you have a short person like me take pictures of the stage. Nothing. Wah wah.


Trust me, Passion Pit was there. Unfortunately, the lead singer was suffering from terrible allergies, so they had to cut their set short.  They did finish with an instrumental of their hit, "Sleepyhead", which was pretty cool. We all sang along :)


The Dogfish Head Beer Tent was definitely a highlight...


In the words of Vampire Weekend:

Me and my cousins and you and your cousins
Its a line that is always running.
Me and my cousins, You and your cousins,
I can feel it coming

Here's Capital Cities on the Backyard stage. They reminded me of Chromeo with their funky disco sound.

Look who we bumped into-Zane! 


A great thing about this festival is that they had free filtered water, courtesy of Kleen Kanteen. You can bet I didn't forget my water bottle! What a huge convenience!



As night fell, Vampire Weekend (aka: the main reason why went to Firefly) took the stage. They performed all their hits and put on a great show. 




I love festival hoop dancers!


Unfortunately, we couldn't stay for most of the the Foster the People set because we had to hit the road.


A crazy statute we saw while walking back to our car. It was outside of the Dover Racetrack.


Before we headed home, we stopped by Royal Farms to get some chicken. Yes, Royal Farms the gas station! Ever since Justin tried it last year, he got hooked. Its motto is, "Fresh, Never frozen" and you could definitely tell in the flavor and the juiciness of the chicken. I must admit, for some late night grub, it totally hit the spot.
 

Ricky about to chomp into a potato wedge.

  

I had a blast over the weekend! Despite being sleep deprived and having a hard time getting up on Monday morning, I really enjoyed myself at Firefly. I'm glad we went even if it was just for one day. Maybe next year I'll convince Justin to do the whole weekend ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment